The 100-Day Trainer Challenge is a showcase of Off-the-track Thoroughbreds as they prepare for their life after racing. The process follows their journey through 100-days, showcasing these horses’ athleticism and intelligence as a sport and riding horse. Our goal is to find permanent homes for these beautiful animals.
Category: Racing – Owner Contest
Five trainers will compete for the Top Thoroughbred Title at the Thoroughbred Showcase at Thunderbird Show Park on October 4th, 2014. The Winner will be decided by a combination of judges’ scores.
The scores will be based on a combination of three classes:
– In-Hand – Demonstrates the horse’s tractability and maneuverability on the ground. Horses will be required to walk and trot along with the handler, turn on the haunches, turn on the forehand and sidepass.
– Flat Class – Horses will be shown at walk, trot and canter. They may be ridden English or Western.
– Freestyle Class – This is the Trainer’s chance to showcase what the horse has learned in 100 days and their suitability for their chosen discipline.
– Horses must be Thoroughbreds that have raced or trained in British Columbia
– Off-the-track Thoroughbreds that have already been used as riding horses are not eligible.
– Stallions must be gelded.
– All horses will be vetted for soundness and athleticism prior to being accepted. All horses must pass the vet check.
Trainers will draw from a pool of five horses. One horse will be assigned as a back-up in case of injury. Horse selection will take place on June 21st, 2014 at Hastings Racecourse.
– Trainers must be current members of Horse Council BC in good standing.
– Challenge horses may not be trained by any other individual during the 100-day training period.
For FAQ and and Full Contest Details please see HERE
– June 1st, 2014 – Application Deadline
– June 15th, 2014 – Trainers & Horses Announced
– June 21st, 2014 – Horse Selection at Hastings Racecourse
– June 25th, 2014 – Horse Must Move To New Training Facility
– October 4th, 2014 – 100-Day Trainer Challenge at Thunderbird Show Park
To register visit New Stride HERE